Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Trembles (And things that can't be seen)

[I wonder how many people read the text with the videos. I wonder if it matters so much if you watch the video and then read the text? Or if you read the text and then watch the video?

I think in vlogs the text and the video often go hand in hand. They are joined. One complements the other. One helps you "see" something that maybe you wouldn't have otherwise. This may not always be the case but it is sometimes.

Text and video in a vlog post......keep it together.]

So for this post I must join its text:

There is more meaning in this moment caught on video than I could have captured with my camera. I saw a shaky hand. I saw difficulty in accomplishing simple tasks. I saw aid given.

I also saw some of my previous interactions with this person. I see the standing of these persons in community. There is just so much here that I just couldn't show you in the shot captured to my memory stick.

But this made me think. It made me consider weakness. It made me question if some people are weak maybe even sick as a result of their own doing? That is a tough question. I think that some can be sick of their own doing. Maybe they don't even realize that the source of their disease is within their own mind, habits, beliefs, traditions, or ideas. Personally, I know I have caused myself pain because of false ideas or holding to wrong beliefs.

And this isn't just religious speak here. I mean, hey, if I eat ice cream and Doritos I do quite a job on my stomach. How do I know? Well, cause I have done it before......and more than once. I like Doritos and I like ice cream and sometimes I am forced to choose between the two. Well sometimes I don't like being forced into that situation so I eat em both. Then get sick to the stomach. You see I believe that tasting those yummy junk foods is good at the time I am eating them. Later,however, I pay the consequence.

So I wonder. These tremors I see. Is there more to them? I don't think I can ever know for sure. And I know that if I grow weak myself I hope that it isn't of my own doing but comes naturally.

track with co.mments

8 Comments:

At Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:19:00 AM, Blogger Trevor and Dan Productions said...

wow....I think I've been there before...hmm...bacon...and eggs...and french toast...in Pitkins...wow. Very bizarre. Almost to my level.

Dano

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 8:58:00 AM, Blogger Headsoff said...

i always want to read the text before the video but depending on how much there is sometimes i fail. also, i think wordpress cuts it off at some point in ANT which drives me insane. usually i end up frantically trying to read it while the video plays and then pausing the video to finish if i think its relevant.

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 1:03:00 PM, Blogger soyChapin said...

jeje, funny.... it's the first time I watch the video without reading the text.

So... without reading, here's my thought: you were sneaking into a couple sharing their meal? reminded me of my wife, who's careful enough to try to correct everything I do INCLUDING how I eat, but hasn't gone as far as to the food on my plate.

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 4:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm...couldnt watch the video because of a problem with the popup.php. I guess I'll go and read your text now.

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2006 1:31:00 AM, Blogger missbhavens said...

I agree--I think that since text is the numero uno component of blogging it is a key ingredient of vlogging as well by extention. I always wonder if people read my accompanying text. Sometimes it's backround information, sometimes its further explanation and sometimes it's just ramblings.

This little special moment you captured, however is an interesting case: when I watched it, there seemed to be so much more depth to the situation, so much hiding in the backround (so to speak...I don't mean literally in the backround of the shot...I mean in the backround of this filmed moment) that it wasn't even necessary for you to mention so in accompanying text.

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:44:00 PM, Blogger Carl Weaver said...

Good job caturing an intimate, shared moment. I hear what you are saying about weakness and whether we bring on our own sickness, etc. I think about that a lot.

I know for sure that three things exist and we all face them: old age (hopefully), sickness and death. So even if we do everything right we will still experience these things. But you are right - we create a lot of our own suffering. The Buddha taught that suffering is part of the human condition, and that even in happiness there is suffering because we wish for things to be different. That's a nutshell explanation. Sorry to get all Buddhist on you - I am not trying to convert anyone, just throwing out what one dude said.

Me, I just wish they would make Doritos flavored ice cream so we won't have to choose anymore.

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:15:00 PM, Blogger Rachael G. said...

your vlogs are always on the same wave that I'm pondering in my own little life.

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Lan Bui (of The Bui Brothers) said...

That was a moment in time that would have gone unnoticed by the world had you not been there. I'm glad you shared with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.