Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Arroz con Habichuelas---Rice with Beans


Rice and beans is really one of my favorites. My Latino heritage probably has a good deal to do with that. It had been a while since I had made rice and beans, I enjoyed eating them so much.This vid is a moment of that experience shared. As for rice and beans or "arroz con habichuela", it is such a simple dish I should really take the time to cook it more often.

The music sampled in this clip is from one of the best salsa bands ever, El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico. The song is called "El Menu".

Salsa music is great! The songs can often be about love and passion. Something I like about salsa is also that it often tells a story, and often that story is about things in everyday life. In this case the story is about the joys Puerto Rican cookery and all the great flavors it has to offer. "El Menu" is one of El Gran Combos most well know hits. We Puerto Ricans are a passionate bunch. With lots of pride or "orgullo" to go along with it. Great food. Great dancing. Great family. Great music.

To get the "sabor" or taste of Puerto Rican salsa music check out this band that has been cranking out great salsa since the 60's.

PS If you were trying to read my lips near the end of this video and couldn't figure it out I said: "That's good!"

track with co.mments

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow sometime I miss that too-food, music and family

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:56:00 PM, Blogger @LargoL said...

Anthony . . . . . mmm it looks so good . . .

When I first came to the US it was very shocking to know that puertorricans call beans "habichuelas", beans are called "Frijoles" in most countries of Latin America and for us in Colombia habichuelas are green beans !!!

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:08:00 PM, Blogger missbhavens said...

My favorite quick meal! I say quick because I never cook it myself. I go to my fabulous local Cuban-Chinese restaurant and pick it up. I usually go for the yellow rice/black beans combo, but when I feel like mixing it up I go for white rice/red beans. Tasty $2 treat!

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 7:31:00 PM, Blogger JuanFalla said...

Anthony, that made me hungry!
;-)

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:57:00 PM, Blogger @driPod said...

jejejeje only in Puerto Rico : Habichuelas

In latin american: frijoles

delicius

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 4:43:00 PM, Blogger Headsoff said...

i want a recipe so i can try your rice and beans out. cuz they look more enjoyable than mine ever do... even though i eat them all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.